Quote of the moment

"I have to tell it again and again: I have no doctrine. I only point out something. I point out reality, I point out something in reality which has not or too little been seen. I take him who listens to me at his hand and lead him to the window. I push open the window and point outside. I have no doctrine, I carry on a dialogue." Martin Buber

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

CNN Shows Unlikely Heroes in Chile's Tsunami and the Meaning of Ability

I thank my friend, David Wetherow of Community Works, for sharing this incredible and wonderful video posted on CNN of unlikely heroes. When a tsunami crashed into an asylum in Chile, two unlikely heroes, one schizophrenic, the other mentally disabled, formed a team to save their friends' lives...

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2010/03/09/penhaul.chile.unlikely.heroes.cnn

Chile only two months ago passed their own version of a disabilities rights and access act . Chile also signed the Convention on Rights for People with Disabilities. I wonder what would happen if the directors and supporters of this asylum and other "hogars" and "fundaciones" in Chile saw this video and followed it with this video: "You Don't Look Disabled," also by CNN.

Pay especially close attention to the opening segment of the record-setting athlete, actress and model Aimee Mullin's presentation "You Don't Look Disabled, to the CNN staff.
Watch the video: http://tinyurl.com/y9vz6x2






 

No comments:

Post a Comment