Quote of the moment

"I have to tell it again and again: I have no doctrine. I only point out something. I point out reality, I point out something in reality which has not or too little been seen. I take him who listens to me at his hand and lead him to the window. I push open the window and point outside. I have no doctrine, I carry on a dialogue." Martin Buber

Thursday, October 20, 2011

You say frutilla, I say fresa- Chilean Spanish for food and spices

As my husband's family is from Spain I quickly learned Spanish to impress my mother-in-law.  But I soon discovered my Spanish Spanish (or Castellaño) does not always hold up well here in Chile. While in the grocery store I asked the clerk for fresas  or  strawberries. She looked at me oddly as though I was speaking a foreign language. I attempted once again asking more slowly and a bit louder "¿Dónde están las fresas?" (Where are the strawberries). And once again she looked at me as though I were speaking Chinese. Thankfully my braincells kicked in and I remembered that in Chile strawberries are not fresas; they are frutillas. Same with avocado, known in Spain as aguacate, but here in Chile it is palta.

Below are a collection of food names and their translations in English to Chilean Spanish. If you have others to add please do so in the comments or contact me:



avocado
palta
bacon
tocino
baking powder (single action)
polvos de hornear
baking soda
sodio de bicarbonato (also at pharmacies)
beet
betarraga
bran
salvado
celery
apio
chocolate, unsweetened
chocolate amargo
condensed milk
leche condensada
cornstarch
maicena
cream
crema
garlic cloves
dientes de ajo
jam/marmalade
mermelada
jelly
jalea
leeks
puerros
mushrooms
champiñones
olives
aceitunas
peaches, nectarines
duraznos
peanuts
manis
peanut butter
mantequilla de mani
squash
zapallo
sour cream
crema acido
raisins
pasas
self-rising flour
harina con polvos de hornear
shortening
manteca
strawberries
frutillas
sugar, granulated
azucar granulado
sugar, powdered
azucar flor
brown sugar
azúcar rubia
whipped cream
crema batida
whole wheat flour
harina integral
yeast
levadura

Spices in English/Spanish:


allspice
anise
pimienta malagueta...deJamaica...inglesa
anis
basil
albahaca
bay leaf
hoja de laurel
caper
alcaparras
caraway
alcaravaca
cardamon
cardamono
chili powder
chile en polvo
cinnamon
canela
clove
clavo de olor
coriander
cilantro
cream of tartar
crema de tartaro
cumin
comino
dill
eneldo
fennel
hinojo
garlic
ajo
ginger
jengibre
horseradish
rabano picante
msg
glutamato monosodico
marjoram
mejorana
mint
menta
mustard
mostaza
nutmeg
nuez moscada
oregano
oregano
paprika
pimenton
parsley
perejil
pepper, black
pimienta negra
pepper, white
pimienta blanca
rosemary
romero
saffron
azafran
sesame seed
ajonjoli
sage
salvia
savory
ajedrea
tarragon
estragon
thyme
tomillo
turmeric
curcuma






No comments:

Post a Comment